Thursday, November 29

A Song of Ice and Fire

Haven't really been inspired when it came to writing these past few days, rather I've been enjoying my job-less life again. I've also almost reached my goal of 15 blog posts for this month, so no need to rush either.

However, it's kinda frustrating that I've never really posted about my favorite fantasy literature series yet, A Song of Ice and Fire. What's so great about this series? I usually like to say how brutally realistic it is, if not for the (limited) fantasy elements, it could have been considered historical literature instead. Its scope is also something awe-inspiring, and it features some of the best characters I've ever come across.

Yet, unsurprisingly, the author of the series George R. R. Martin sums it up much better than me:

It's really irritating when you open a book, and 10 pages into it you know that the hero you met on page one or two is gonna come through unscathed, because he's the hero. This is completely unreal, and I don't like it. If I was a soldier going to war, I'd be pretty scared the night before a battle. It's a scary thing. And I want my readers to feel that fear as they turn the page. I want them to feel that no one is safe — that if my character is surrounded by three people with swords, he's in serious trouble, because he's only one guy against three.

It's so refreshing to read a story like this. How many times have you cringed when an important character survives an impossible situation just because he or she "has to"? No such thing in ASoIaF. It's what keeps you on your toes at all time while reading, it really is a scary thing. And most, if not all, characters are so wonderfully "gray", and the different perspectives you get on each one are really unique.

Speaking of perspectives, each chapter is narrated from one of the main characters, who gives a different view of things every time. A character that at first seemed a complete S.O.B. when seen through the eyes of one person may become a noble hero through the eyes of another. In other words, be prepared to be surprised by certain characters, and don't be too quick to judge them.

Entertainment Weekly recently had a Q&A session with George R. R. Martin, it's where that previous quote is from, and it's really interesting for fans of the series. No, there's no release date for the next chapter, A Dance with Dragons yet. Be patient.

A series of minatures based on characters from the series has also been released lately, if that's your thing. I really like the Jamie Lannister one, I think it captures the essence of his character nicely.

"How long have you known me?" - Still the best damn show on TV right now.

No comments: