Thursday, May 3

Liverpool Vs A.C Milan, round two!

Technically, it's still "tomorrow".

I sort of had this long-winded rant ready about how Liverpool managed to disqualified Chelsea in the Champions League semi-finals because they had the balls to do so and Chelsea just had a lot of expensive players and an arrogant (and pretty douchebag-y) coach. But I decided against actually writing it, as I'd just be reciting what people have been saying for the last few days. Moving on then.

So it's official, the Champions League final here in Athens will be a rematch of the 2005 final between Liverpool (which I'm supporting, as you may have already guessed) and A.C. Milan, a team that was supposed to be disqualified from the competition originally, and only got through in the end because they're A.C. Milan. And people still ask me why I think cosmic irony is the driving force in this universe.

At any rate, it should be a very interesting match. Not because either team is known for their fast-paced football, full of technique and skill, on the contrary. However, their last match in the 2005 final was one of the most memorable matches in recent years, Milan got the lead 3-0 early in the game, but Liverpool managed to tie the game and win the cup in the penalties. Not the most beautiful football game ever, but definitely one I (and others) will remember for years to come.

It's a shame that the tickets for the final are so expensive, I had no chance of getting one on time. I would have loved to hear Liverpool's fans sing "You'll never walk alone" in the middle of the Olympic stadium here in Athens. Oh wells.

What really sucks is the fact that the Euroleague final four (think European basketball) is starting tomorrow, again here in Athens... And the team I'm supporting, Panathinaikos, is taking place in it. Of course I haven't found any tickets for either game, seriously now.

It's funny, I went all the way to Paris when I was 15 to watch Panathinaikos win their first European championship, but I haven't gone to either Final Four that has taken place in Greece, that would be 2000 in Thessaloniki, when I was studying Geology there, and the current one.

I'd say that's pretty fucking ironic as well.

No comments: