Monday, May 21

The intro to Starcraft: Brood War

I suck when it comes to title names.

This is the video introduction to Brood War, the expansion pack to the original Starcraft. It's also one of my favorite video sequences in a game, ever.

The original Starcraft game had a pretty nice intro sequence too, very eerie, moody and almost scary, but Brood War's was on a whole different level. It's so well directed, it wouldn't look out of place in a sci-fi movie, with some twinking here and there of course. And then its whole subject matter is also great, which is the reason why I love it so much. In it, as in most of the game, you see the humans for what they are, douchebags, not heroes.

It's something you rarely see in games, but Starcraft did an excellent job at this. And lest we forget, strategy games are hardly renowned for their plots and storylines. This is one of the reasons why I liked the original so much, you spent as much time fighting other humans as you did fighting the alien races. And the atmosphere of that game was amazing. I can't really put this into words, but the storyline and the atmosphere is what made me love Starcraft, even though I preferred the Command & Conquer games as far as gameplay is concerned.

This concept of humans being... well, themselves, was also introduced in Warcraft 3, but then Blizzard of course had to dump it down for the masses and so the humans are again the "good guys" in WoW. If there's ever a Starcraft MMO (and I hope there won't be), they'd better not mess with this aspect of the story.

Of course, most people would roll Protoss, but that's besides the point.

Here's the video:



Tom, if you're reading this, I want a rematch in Brood Wars one day. xD

2 comments:

Tom said...

I thought I told you, that was the only match that mattered ever. I have retired from StarCraft as the victor in the only match that ever mattered, ever. The fact that it was the first time I played the game and I schooled your ass, well that's just bad luck for you.

I figure you'll comment on my StarCraft post pretty soon :) Suffice it to say, though, I don't really have the high esteem for Blizzard that so many other gamers do.

StarCraft II is going to be exactly the same as StarCraft albeit with fancy graphics and a new story. I have no desire for a Diablo III - the whole random dungeon/loot drop thing didn't do it for me in 2000 and it doesn't do it for me now - but I do think that Blizzard should branch out and actually attempt to craft new and interesting games.

They are one of the few development houses that has the clout and the finances to try some new and exciting things. Hell, they should open up a small associated studio, call it "Flurry" and have it focus on creating new, interesting and inexpensive games that they can distribute online.

'Tis not to be, though. No, we are going to get StarCraft, but with 3D graphics and a refined version of gameplay dynamics that already exist in other RTS games that have been released over the past decade.

George, I hope I'm wrong but I don't think that I'm going to be.

George said...

Alright, how's about a few rounds in the better game then, Rome: Total War? :D

As for StarCraft 2, check your blog for my response soon. :)