Tuesday, April 15

Internet neutrality

I'll be the first to admit I'm not too fond of CEO's. For no real reason in particular, really. Perhaps I was sexually molested by one of them in a previous life, I dunno.

When a dude like the new CEO of Virgin Media makes a comment such as "net neutrality is a load of bollocks" then I'm not likely to change my opinion any time soon, at least as far as this guy is concerned. It gets better, as they "claimed they're already doing deals to deliver some people’s content faster than others. They would then put websites and services that don't pay Virgin in the "slow lane", meaning those sites would load slowly and cause most users to give up using them, feeling forced to use whatever Virgin wants to push through their network."

For more, including a rarely seen serious video from patently-unfunny Internet pseudo-celeb Athéne, visit this website. As you may have gathered, I don't particularly like Athéne either, but this time he and his gang are right. If anything, I respect him more after this.

Obviously, given that this is more of a U.K. issue this doesn't affect me on a personal level (for the time being, at least) but that's some Orwellian shit right there. Even if this has to do simply with a U.K ISP for the time being, who's to say that more companies won't adopt this policy in the not-so-distant future?

TL;DR version:

People suck, and Virgin CEO's even more so. Big Brother says "Hi!" George is being cryptic, but still wants a PS3.

No Italics were used in this post. Must be a first.

No comments: