Friday, July 18

[Internets Friday] The Phishing IQ Test

If you don't know what phishing is, you're doing it wrong already. From Wikipedia:

"phishing is the criminally fraudulent process of attempting to acquire sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details, by masquerading as a trustworthy entity in an electronic communication."

Sometimes phishing is fairly obvious, many typos and bad grammar in an e-mail, ridiculous claims, etc. But people adapt, and so do phishers. It helps being paranoid of course, I generally ignore all e-mails from people I don't know.

However, I came across an Phishing IQ test lately, and realized I'm not paranoid enough. I only got 5 out of 10 in that test, my paranoia made me think 3 legit sites were out to uh... phish me, but I was also fooled by two phishing sites. In retrospect, I should have been paying more attention.

It's a nifty test to take, though as with most tests, it shouldn't be taken too seriously, and could help most people identify phishing e-mails with more ease.

TL;DR version:

Greetings to you, I am the Prince of Nigeria. I want you to have my money, but you'll have to give me yours first.

No comments: