Friday, June 22

A midsummer night

Tonight was the summer solstice, one of the two times of the year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator, the longest day of the year. It's also called midsummer.

(I'm auditioning for the Captain Obvious '07 award, how am I doing?)

It's also one of my favorite nights of the year. Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my favorite plays. The loosely-related song by the Stranglers, Midnight's Summer Dream is also one of my favorite songs.

I have a strange fascination with all three, they have something eerie about them that I like oh so very much, even though I'm not sure why this is so.

I was planning on writing something deep and meaningful about the meaning of this night, but the immense heat, a damn headache, random PC crashes, and my own incompetence forbid me from doing so.

I guess this post is my very own Lost in La Mancha.

During the next three days I'll make some basketball-related posts I've wanted to make for a while now. I've found my love for that game again, after so many years, and football be damned.

No comments: