Sunday, March 18

Veronica Mars addendum

It seems I may have spoken prematurely. The lovely miss Kristin Veitch updated her blog later on Friday with new information about the future of Veronica Mars, and it seems like the series hasn't reached the end of the proverbial line yet. To quote the CW rep from the above link "The final decision will be made on May 17."

Still, it looks like the show as we know it may be over for good, as it is presumably heading for a total make-over, with the rumored new season taking place 4 years after the events of the season three, at a time when Veronica has become an FBI agent. These are all just rumors yet, but they are strong rumors.

I'm kind of torn on this. Throughout the second half of the third season it has been heavily hinted that V could very well join the FBI in the future, so this isn't a surprising development, but it may be a premature one. I'm not sure how well I'd stomach a fast forward to the future, with most of the main cast gone.

But what I'm mainly worried about is what the tone of the series will be. CSI: Neptune? The uh, VM-Files? Monk 2,0? There's so many things that could go wrong.

On the other side, there's also a lot of things that could go right. After watching the second (and arguably worst) episode of the first season, Credit Where Credit's Due, on television again, I realized just how much better it was than anything we've seen recently. I keep mentioning this, but the first season was just so much edgier than the following two. Even visually, all the moody colors that gave VM a certain cool neo-Noir feeling that made it stand out of the rest of the TV shows out there are gone. Plus, my favorite bit is gone; no more brooding monologues from the protagonist herself. Heck, even all the characters seem to have lost their realistic flaws that made them so endearing to us.

Perhaps an all new, FBI-based, setting could provide with the darker atmosphere that the show is sorely missing since its first season, especially if it will be targeted to an older audience than season 3. You see, the execs decided that season 3's target group would be teenage girls, and that's why we got all that groan-inducing relationship drama between Veronica and Logan. Rest assured that there's a special place reserved in Hell for people who mess up that much with a good story *nods*.

Furthermore, a new cast could mean that the supporting characters wouldn't feel so out of context anymore, and they would also be as dark and deeply flawed as the ones in season one.

What can I say, I really love the first season of Veronica Mars. It's one of those things I'm pretty sure I'll still love in twenty years from now, which is more than can be said for most of the things that are on TV or in film these days. I like Lost, Heroes, 24, but in ten years from now I'll probably look at them nostalgically rather than say "Damn, this show is still great even now!"

P.S.

While Credit Where Credit's Due is pretty mediocre by season one standards (Paris Hilton is in it, 'nuff said), it also has one of the best lines in the entire series:

Troy (looking at V's flat tire): "Flat?"
Veronica: "Just as God made me."

More sardonic humor like that, less teen-drama, please.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ΠΑΟ - Ατρόμητος: 1-2

lawl.

Tom said...

I've got to watch that show - or at least the first season. It sounds like it never managed to find a real audience, though, and if they throw it into the ring as an FBI/chick drama then it'll be up against a lot of competition. At least the ensuing seasons didn't ruin the first season for you, George.

Hmm... what series had the first, fantastically well-realized third ruined by the ensuing two thirds?

-Tom

Nowhere-fast.net
Oh yeah, my forum is up now.

George said...

You should in fact watch this show, Tom. :)

From what I hear it's really easy to find the first season for like 10 bucks, or you can y'know, rent it and stuff.

Yeah, VM could never really find its audience, I think many people must have dismissed it because on paper it sounds a lot like Buffy without the vampires, but it's hardly anything like it.

As other series that had a great first third and hedious following two thirds... Lost comes to mind, and even though it sounds blasphemous, 24 as well.

The first two seasons of 24 were excellent (I prefer the first one but the second was really good) but ever since season three, everything's going downhill. Three is not bad per se, just not as good as the rest. The following ones really started irritating me.

Tom said...

I enjoyed season three of 24, but I have yet to watch season four.

Anyway - the series where the second two thirds were so awful that they managed to ruin an exception first third is... The Matrix movies!

I won't go into it, but you know what I'm talking about. Biggest fuck-up in cinema history.

-Tom

Nowhere-fast.net

Anonymous said...

100% Total