Sunday, January 28

Random stuff - The return!

You know what they say, sequels don't live up to the originals. But it had to be done, because some people would have you think I never update this blog. Which is an outright lie, I update bi-centennially!

Anyway, I found two things today that I thought I should share with the rest of the world.

The first one is Scott Pakin's automatic complaint-letter generator. What does it do? Well, it does exactly what its name (subtly) suggests; it creates automated complaint-letters. It's just awesome. An example:

I am not writing to agree or disagree with Rabbi Jeremiah QQ. Stoned V. What I have to say, however, regards Rabbi Stoned's conscious decision to control your bank account, your employment, your personal safety, and your mind. To begin at the beginning, Nature is a wonderful teacher. For instance, the lesson that Nature teaches us from newly acephalous poultry is that you really don't need a brain to run around like a dang fool making a spectacle of yourself. Nature also teaches us that I would like to comment on Rabbi Stoned's attempt to associate sensationalism with cannibalism. There is no association. My intention here is not just to place blame where it belongs -- in the hands of Rabbi Stoned and his noxious encomiasts -- but also to shine a light on Rabbi Stoned's efforts to bamboozle people into believing that the health effects of secondhand smoke are negligible. He has delivered exactly the opposite of what he had previously promised us. Most notably, Rabbi Stoned's vows of liberation turned out to be masks for oppression and domination. And, almost as troubling, his vows of equality did little more than convince people that his tracts defy common sense. Do I blame society for this? No, I blame Rabbi Stoned. He is not only immoral, but amoral. Implying that Rabbi Stoned acts in the name of equality and social justice is no different from implying that Rabbi Stoned can be trusted to judge the rest of the world from a unique perch of pure wisdom. Both statements are ludicrous. Okay, there's no reason for me to be officious, so I'll leave you with this concept: Rabbi Jeremiah QQ. Stoned V's cuckoo fantasy fits neatly into his heartless model of society.

You can choose how many paragraphs your letter should have, I chose one in mine to keep it short. The results are usually hilarious and I can think of a lot of situations where I could use this (mainly for trolling the official World of Warcraft forums, though). It's not without its faults, however. I've seen a few typos in every single example so far, and while I can overlook that, the main problem is that the end result always suffers from the "wall of text" um, effect. I guess that's kinda the whole point of this, but walls of text hurt my eyes.

Edit: Okay, this is just golden. While even I haven't read it all, I don't have to either. I just know that a thread like this would gather at least 10 pages of angry responses at the official WoW forums (A.K.A. Purgatory). Shame you need an active account to post there, I think it's time to make some phone calls...

The second thing for today is a short but very funny video. As promised, there's a streaming version up now, or if you wish, you can download it here. It's a NSFW vid though, so careful where you watch it. If you don't know what this is, it means that this video is perfectly fine to watch at work if your first name is Pavlos.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Hey, somebody's got to keep you on your toes. If not, then you might get away with never updating this blog and that just won't do.

So you're welcome.

Tom

nowhere-fast.net

George said...

Hey, I appreciate the encouragement. *grins*