Wednesday, October 8

[Gaming News] Blue Ray drive for the Xbox 360?

It has been making the rounds as a rumor for quite a while now, ever since the HD DVD format died I believe, but when a highly reputable and trusted site such as Gamasutra reports on it, there's obviously something here. The Xbox 360 might at last be getting a Blu-Ray drive of its own, like its competitor, the Playstation 3. The fact that it's reportedly in development by Toshiba, the company responsible for the HD DVD makes this whole thing rather deliciously ironic.

It remains to be seen if this will be used for anything more than playing movies and whether or not this is related to the incident with Id's Rage, as optional peripherals (especially the ones that cost so much) rarely become a mainstray as far as gaming consoles go. In fact, the only example that comes to mind is the 4MB Expansion Pack memory chip for the Nintendo 64, which was used in several games with varying success, but even then Nintendo had to ship it with Donkey Kong 64 rather than risk having a percentage of their customers unable of playing the game. Which of course meant that some unlucky bastards like yours truly ended up with two Expansion Packs.

Such things tend to get messy, in other words.

TL;DR version:

Figures that on the first "official" day of my new blog, I come down with the flu and as a result my mind's too messy to write a proper review/article. Oh, well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband has just decided to take ownership of the spare room we have and turned it into a games room, yes I did give him permission but now I’m hoping he won’t spend all his time in there!
Anyway as a Christmas treat I’m thinking of getting him an XBOX360 game (he wants Tom Clancy's EndWar) along with a gaming chair that he has spotted on Boys Stuff. I'm not sure whether buying these will do me any justice but hey, if that's what he wants I might aswell get them.

George said...

Boys will be boys, it's better to buy them the toys they want than have them get all cranky about it. :)

(At least, that's what I think. I'm going to have spoiled kids, aren't I? :P)

During the first days, as all boys do when they get a new toy, you'll probably notice that your husband will spend a lot of time with his Xbox360, but it's just a phase. I doubt he'll spend all his time there!

EndWar is probably a good choice, by the way. :)